Friday, February 21, 2014

Introducing . . . Our New Blog!

Welcome to Strawberry Flapjacks with O and Mo

I had a baby. We fell in love. With each other. With many things domestic.

It all starts with spoon-fed, organic pureed mangos when Little O is 7 months old. It evolves into O calling out, "Let's open up the "moo-ey"" [smoothie] bar!" when he awakes from long, toddler naps.

And now that's O's 4, a full-fledged preschooler, our love affair continues through our ritual of Sunday pancakes. It's the heart center of our family week.

Even though Sundays start way earlier than they should with little ones around (4:45a.m. lately!), Sundays are still special. They feel cozy after we've spent Saturday together and an entire, free day still lies ahead. No errands, no playdates, no last minute dash to a meeting, no debate over what's for breakfast.

Our Sunday mornings are instinctive . . .
O cracks eggs and mixes pancake batter.
My husband, Reid, picks out eggshells and oversees the griddle.
I slip in any available healthy/interesting ingredients while bouncing our newest babe, who we'll call "Moosey" here.
"Moosey" babbles and drools.


We keep our pancakes recipes on the mellower side with interesting departures to use up leftover buttermilk from a salad dressing recipe or include items we've been lucky enough to harvest. We are thankful that we live on Martha's Vineyard where a wholesome, local food scene is very much a part of our culture. Stir-ins that we've picked ourselves have included: strawberries, cranberries, blueberries and raspberries. We've also used local sweet potato, pumpkin and yes, even sausage(!) in our flapjacks. Our go-recipes always include farm-fresh eggs from our neighbor (and cousin's) Blackwater Farm.

One ingredient you won't find in our pancakes is nuts as Owen has a severe allergy, but you'll a true assortment of recipes here, for the lazy-man or gourmet, the paleo or vegan.

Since I'm letting you into our kitchen, I'll let you in on some family 411, too. After our adorable "Moosey" came along last July, my bigger guy and I have been going through some, um, shall we say . . . 'intense transitions.'

Things have slowly been getting better. Recently, O & I were peeking our friend's incredible blog, Two Blue Lemons, to learn how to make her incredible butternut squash quesadillas. A throwback to our former domestic bliss. That's when O spotted his adorable, friend from preschool's photo.

And that, readers, the very moment O decided that he wanted to have HIS own cooking blog! About his favorite food. Pancakes.

One thing I admire about my O is that he will try ANYTHING. (I try to copy/model this for him, but I recently found myself holding my nose as I "tasted" my friend Chelsea's homemade kombucha.) Anyhow, O's willingness to try new foods is especially evident when it comes to pancakes. He will actually order a pancake just because it SOUNDS interesting. Like the Artcliff's zucchini pancakes. Or State Road's lemon ricotta pancakes.

This makes me think we have enough material to actually pull this project off. I'm also thinking we have A LOT of experience as we have been cooking (or ordering) pancakes for many a Sunday together.

I hope, just like our Sunday morning pancake ritual enriches our family life, that the venture O and I are beginning will the two of us connect us in special ways, too. And, I hope that this blog inspires you, dear reader, to keep your pancakes like your Sundays: fun, delish & wholesome.

1 comment:

  1. Moira, I LOVE this!!!! I can't wait to start trying out some of your recipes, they look fantastic!!! Starting with the buttermilk pancakes, YUM!!!! My whole family enjoys pancakes and usually sausage so i am looking forward to that one too :) Congratulations to you and to Owen for getting this off the ground. xx Lea

    ReplyDelete