Sunday, November 2, 2014

High Five's for O! Birthday Cake Pancakes




Here's O, ringing in his fifth year with his cousins at the zoo.


As O celebrated his birthday last week, my friends kept asking me, "Can you believe he's 5 already?"

"Yes, I can!" was my answer.

I have been so lucky to spend every day with him. One of the best things about being with O is that he can make anything fun. Like giant cardboard boxes and empty TP rolls, trips to the post office and yes, even the dentist. I hope he keeps this quality.

Now for the pancakes . . .
We're sorry, but if you're hoping for a healthy twist on birthday cake pancakes, this just ain't the one. For once, we relaxed on the whole living local/healthy thing and basically mixed up birthday cake for breakfast. It's good to be 5 . . .

High Five's for O! Birthday Cake Pancakes
adapted from Good Ole Betty Crocker
serves 4
1 c your favorite pancake mix
1 c yellow cake mix
3 T rainbow sprinkles
1 c milk
1 t vanilla
2 eggs


Glaze and Garnish (we used this leftover homemade frosting instead)
2 1/2 c powdered sugar
3 T plus 2 t milk
1 t vanilla
additional sprinkles




Directions
In a medium bowl, stir together pancake ingredients until blended. Pour by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot, greased griddle. Cook until edges are dry. Turn; cook until pancakes are golden brown. Stack on serving plates.

In a small bowl, beat powdered sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with whisk until smooth.

To serve, top each serving with glaze and additional candy sprinkles. Kiss your birthday king!







I'll be honest- I couldn't take the sweetness- I just ate one and then had a bowl of yogurt & granola. But some people were memorably happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment